Price: $224 eLearning
Sign up today for an entire year of unlimited access to relevant, timely professional learning courses, including webinars, eLearning courses and OnDemand offerings, and keep your professional credits up to date. All for just $399.SUBSCRIBE NOW
Kevin Johnson is a partner in the Tax Practice Group of Pepper Hamilton LLP, resident in the Philadelphia office. He focuses his practice on tax controversy and litigation, as well as domestic and international tax planning.
Mr. Johnson has worked in the tax controversy area for over 20 years. Early in his career, he joined the IRS as a revenue agent and also worked in IRS Appeals. As a result of his experience with the IRS, he brings a unique perspective and an insider’s understanding of IRS practice and procedure to his tax controversy practice.
Mr. Johnson’s significant matters include:
• Settlement of a multi-year appeal for a Fortune 100 manufacturer involving research credits, research and development expenses, foreign tax credits and capitalization issues. Favorable resolution included changing a proposed tax deficiency in excess of $100 million to a net multi-million dollar refund for the client.
• Successful representation of an accounting firm in an E-file compliance audit. In addition to proposing substantial preparer penalties, the IRS proposed to suspend the accounting firm from the E-file Program for one or more years due to compliance issues. A suspension from the E-filing program would have had a devastating impact on the accounting firm’s tax return preparation business and its professional reputation. Negotiated a settlement that substantially reduced the penalties and convinced the IRS not to suspend the accounting firm from the E-file program.
• Representation of Fortune 100 company on the restructuring of its foreign operations, including contract manufacturing operations
• Successful negotiation of a settlement with IRS Appeals for large energy-industry company that reduced a $500 million proposed tax liability to less than $30 million
• Member of trial team in Black & Decker Corp. v. United States, 340 F. Supp. 2d 621 (D. Md. 2004), aff'd in part, rev'd in part and remanded, 436 F.3d 431 (4th Cir. 2006)
• Member of trial team in Kohler Co. v. United States, 468 F.3d 1032 (7th Cir. 2006), aff'g. 387 F. Supp. 2d 921 (E.D. Wis. 2005), where taxpayer obtained Seventh Circuit decision affirming summary judgment in favor of taxpayer's claim that participation in Mexican debt-equity swap did not produce short-term capital gain
• Trial team member in VF Corp. v. Commissioner, No. 23340-95 (U.S. Tax Court, filed Nov. 9, 1995), where taxpayer obtained full IRS concession in Tax Court case involving the question of whether taxpayer could accrue and deduct costs for cooperative advertising with its retailers before claims were submitted and payments were made.
Mr. Johnson is chair of the ABA Tax Section’s Administrative Practice Committee. He is a member of the Tax Council of the Philadelphia Bar Association’s Tax Section. He received an LL.M. in taxation from New York University School of Law in 2000 and his J.D. from Columbia Law School in 1995, where he was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar. He received an M.S. in taxation from Temple University in 1997 and a B.B.A. in 1985.
All Bloomberg BNA treatises are available on standing order, which ensures you will always receive the most current edition of the book or supplement of the title you have ordered from Bloomberg BNA’s book division. As soon as a new supplement or edition is published (usually annually) for a title you’ve previously purchased and requested to be placed on standing order, we’ll ship it to you to review for 30 days without any obligation. During this period, you can either (a) honor the invoice and receive a 5% discount (in addition to any other discounts you may qualify for) off the then-current price of the update, plus shipping and handling or (b) return the book(s), in which case, your invoice will be cancelled upon receipt of the book(s). Call us for a prepaid UPS label for your return. It’s as simple and easy as that. Most importantly, standing orders mean you will never have to worry about the timeliness of the information you’re relying on. And, you may discontinue standing orders at any time by contacting us at 1.800.960.1220 or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Put me on standing order at a 5% discount off list price of all future updates, in addition to any other discounts I may quality for. (Returnable within 30 days.)
Notify me when updates are available (No standing order will be created).
This Bloomberg BNA report is available on standing order, which ensures you will all receive the latest edition. This report is updated annually and we will send you the latest edition once it has been published. By signing up for standing order you will never have to worry about the timeliness of the information you need. And, you may discontinue standing orders at any time by contacting us at 1.800.372.1033, option 5, or by sending us an email to email@example.com.
Put me on standing order
Notify me when new releases are available (no standing order will be created)