This complete global solution for HR professionals combines custom research, strategic white papers, country primers, webinars, and the expert guidance you’ve come to expect from...
Sept. 14—Canadian employers expect to provide 3.4 percent increases in base starting salaries for new professional employees in 2016, smaller than the 3.7 percent growth projected for 2015, human resources consulting firm Robert Half said earlier this month.
The 2016 salary growth projection demonstrates that attracting and retaining skilled professionals remains a priority for Canadian organizations as competition for top talent heats up, Greg Scileppi, president of Half's international staffing operations division, said in a statement accompanying release of the firm’s 2016 Salary Guides.
“We are seeing this notably in the technology areas of big data and mobile application development, while finance and accounting, general accounting and business analysis skills continue to be in particularly high demand,” Scileppi said.
• bigger salary (cited by 71 percent of respondents),
• more growth opportunities (38 percent),
• better work-life balance (36 percent),
• shorter commute (24 percent) and
• better job title (16 percent).
The survey also found that it would take on average a 23 percent salary increase to convince professional workers to change companies.
• technology (a 5 percent average increase) with high demand for big data engineers, mobile applications developers and data security analysts and the largest starting salary increase for data scientists (8.5 percent);
• accounting and finance (4 percent) with steady demand for business systems analysts, staff accountants and financial analysts and above-average starting salary increases for individuals with advanced technology skills and specialized industry experience;
• administrative and office support (3.3 percent) with demand for human resources administrators to assist with hiring and retention;
• legal (2.7 percent) with increased litigation driving up demand for lawyers and law clerks with experience in insurance defense and personal injury; and
• creative and marketing (2.1 percent) with particularly high demand for content strategy and mobile development skills as organizations focus heavily on initiatives to connect with customers.
The annual Salary Guides, published since 1950, are based on job searches, negotiations and placements managed by the firm’s staffing and recruiting managers, as well as ongoing surveys of corporate executives.
To contact the reporter on this story: Peter Menyasz in Ottawa at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Rick Vollmar at email@example.com
The salary guides are available at http://www.roberthalf.ca/salary-guides.
For more information on Canadian HR law and regulation, see the Canada primer.
All Bloomberg BNA treatises are available on standing order, which ensures you will always receive the most current edition of the book or supplement of the title you have ordered from Bloomberg BNA’s book division. As soon as a new supplement or edition is published (usually annually) for a title you’ve previously purchased and requested to be placed on standing order, we’ll ship it to you to review for 30 days without any obligation. During this period, you can either (a) honor the invoice and receive a 5% discount (in addition to any other discounts you may qualify for) off the then-current price of the update, plus shipping and handling or (b) return the book(s), in which case, your invoice will be cancelled upon receipt of the book(s). Call us for a prepaid UPS label for your return. It’s as simple and easy as that. Most importantly, standing orders mean you will never have to worry about the timeliness of the information you’re relying on. And, you may discontinue standing orders at any time by contacting us at 1.800.960.1220 or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Put me on standing order at a 5% discount off list price of all future updates, in addition to any other discounts I may quality for. (Returnable within 30 days.)
Notify me when updates are available (No standing order will be created).
This Bloomberg BNA report is available on standing order, which ensures you will all receive the latest edition. This report is updated annually and we will send you the latest edition once it has been published. By signing up for standing order you will never have to worry about the timeliness of the information you need. And, you may discontinue standing orders at any time by contacting us at 1.800.372.1033, option 5, or by sending us an email to email@example.com.
Put me on standing order
Notify me when new releases are available (no standing order will be created)