How to Access the Specialized EDGAR Search
There are two ways to access the Specialized EDGAR Search from Bloomberg Law:
- In the search bar type E and select from the drop down EDGAR Search
- From the Bloomberg Law Menu, select Corporate & Transactional and then click EDGAR Search.
How to Use the EDGAR Specialized Search
- Forms - To search for specific SEC forms, use the auto-complete search or Browse Button. From the Forms filter, click Select Forms and either scroll through the list of forms or begin typing a form name to narrow the scrollable list.
- Insider & Insider Filings - Click these radial slide buttons to include or exclude Insiders and Insider Filings.
- Exhibits - You can limit your search to a standard exhibit number. From the Exhibits filter, click Select Exhibits and either scroll through the list of exhibits or begin typing an exhibit to narrow the scrollable list.
- Exhibit Title - This will search the descriptive titles of EDGAR exhibits that filers have included, if any. Although some EDGAR filers include descriptive titles for their exhibits, the SEC does not require inclusion of these titles. As a result, search results based on this search criteria may be incomplete.
- Keywords - You can search for exact phrases by placing them in quotes, or connect keywords using Boolean search operators.
- Apply Search Criteria to - Select (a) “Forms Only” if you want your search terms to appear only in the underlying forms, (b) “Exhibits Only” if you want your search terms to appear only in exhibits and (c) “Forms & Exhibits” if you want your search terms to appear in both.. Your search results will contain the underlying filings if you select "Forms & Exhibits" or "Forms Only." Click on a filing in the results list to see links to the underlying form and its exhibits. When you select "Exhibits Only," your search results will contain the exhibits themselves. By clicking on a link in the results list, you will be taken directly to the relevant exhibit.
How to Use the Company/Filer Information Search Fields
- Filer Names - Enter an individual or entity name to search documents filed by a specific filer, issuer, company or reporting owner.
- CIK - Every company and individual who files with the SEC is granted a unique identifier called a Central Index Key (“CIK”). A CIK number includes all former names of the relevant entity or individual. Generally, searching by CIK is more comprehensive than searching by the name of a filer, reporting owner or issuer.
- Company/Ticker - The Company/Ticker field returns filings in which a company that is listed on a securities exchange and has a ticker is the filer, the subject company of insider filings on insider filings and/or the target of a publicly-reported merger or acquisition.
- Company Group - Limit your search to 100 companies that meet specified criteria. All criteria is determined using Bloomberg data after the close of each trading day in the United States. The most current market information is matched to the date of the latest EDGAR filing made by a company. Therefore, only companies that meet the selected criteria and have submitted an EDGAR filing since meeting that criteria are included in a group. Click on “More” in the information icon to view a PDF of the Company Group Descriptions.
- Location - Type a few letters of the U.S. city, U.S. state or country where at least one of the parties to the filing maintains its principal place of business and choose from the suggested choices.
- Place of Incorporation - Type a few letters of the U.S. State or country of the filer’s state or country of incorporation and choose from the options to search for documents filed by a party that is organized in that location.
- SIC Industry - You can enter an industry name or Standard Industrial Classification (“SIC”) code to search EDGAR filings related to a specific industry. Enter the name of the industry in this field or browse and select it from the industry index.
How to Use the Submission Information Search Fields
- Filing Date - If you would like to narrow your date range click the Date Range drop-down menu and select one of the choices.
- Period Date - To find documents filed in the preceding period, enter the final date of the period you are interested in searching.
- EDGAR file No. - The SEC assigns unique file numbers to registrations, applications and reports made by issuers. Use this field to find forms or exhibits by their specific EDGAR File Number.