For over 50 years, Bloomberg Tax’s renowned flagship daily news service, Daily Tax Report® has helped leading practitioners and policymakers stay on the cutting edge of taxation and...
Dec. 5 — Taxpayers should think twice about deals to bring back overseas cash that the IRS is targeting in new guidance—even though the current administration is drawing to a close, tax attorneys told Bloomberg BNA.
With an incoming president strongly opposed to U.S. companies that do business overseas and don’t pay their fair share, companies shouldn’t take the guidance lightly, they said in a series of interviews.
In Notice 2016-73, issued Dec. 2, the Internal Revenue Service renewed its campaign to stop taxpayers from improperly bringing earnings back to the U.S. tax-free. The agency said it plans to crack down on companies using transactions known as “triangular reorganizations”—structures involving several different business entities—to move foreign cash without paying U.S. taxes.
Despite the fact that the IRS only issued a notice and there’s no telling when it may release promised regulations, companies still shouldn’t take a chance, attorneys said. Even the prospect of tax overhaul that could lift U.S. taxes on foreign income, while tempting, doesn’t take away risk in the near term.
John Harrington, a former Treasury international tax counsel now with Dentons US LLP, told Bloomberg BNA that even with an 80 percent chance the rules won’t materialize, if that 20 percent happens and companies are still doing these deals, “you don’t have a good answer for that. You’re not going to take a chance.”
Treasury’s efforts to curb tax-free repatriation aren’t going away, said Jeff Paravano, managing partner at Baker & Hostetler LLP, who specializes in both domestic and international tax structuring.
At the same time, investors will keep leaning on companies for tax benefits on overseas cash, Paravano told Bloomberg BNA Dec. 5. “Until we have tax reform, this kind of pressure from investors and this kind of reaction from Treasury will continue,” he said.
Paravano stressed that the territorial tax system Congress is expected to consider, which in its purest form would only tax income earned in the U.S., would take away the need for complex deals to shrink U.S. tax bills on overseas cash.
At the same time, he added, the notice “wasn’t unexpected.”
In transactions the government is worried about, taxpayers use rules governing corporate reorganizations to move cash through chains of companies in a way that allows the U.S. parent company to bring the money home either tax-free or with minimal U.S. tax.
At its broadest level, the deal involves a U.S. company that owns a foreign company with little earnings and no cash to distribute to the U.S. parent. At the same time, the U.S. company indirectly owns a foreign subsidiary that does have cash.The U.S. company then structures the deal so the subsidiary can move the cash to the foreign parent in a way that allows the company to distribute the cash with no tax.
Joe Calianno, a partner and international technical tax practice leader at BDO USA LLP, said the Dec. 2 notice will have “a chilling effect on these transactions,” and there shouldn’t be comfort on these deals.
“I think you have to assume that the regulations they talk about will be finalized,” he told Bloomberg BNA Dec. 5.
To contact the reporter on this story: Alison Bennett in Washington at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Meg Shreve at firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2016 The Bureau of National Affairs, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All Bloomberg BNA treatises are available on standing order, which ensures you will always receive the most current edition of the book or supplement of the title you have ordered from Bloomberg BNA’s book division. As soon as a new supplement or edition is published (usually annually) for a title you’ve previously purchased and requested to be placed on standing order, we’ll ship it to you to review for 30 days without any obligation. During this period, you can either (a) honor the invoice and receive a 5% discount (in addition to any other discounts you may qualify for) off the then-current price of the update, plus shipping and handling or (b) return the book(s), in which case, your invoice will be cancelled upon receipt of the book(s). Call us for a prepaid UPS label for your return. It’s as simple and easy as that. Most importantly, standing orders mean you will never have to worry about the timeliness of the information you’re relying on. And, you may discontinue standing orders at any time by contacting us at 1.800.960.1220 or by sending an email to email@example.com.
Put me on standing order at a 5% discount off list price of all future updates, in addition to any other discounts I may quality for. (Returnable within 30 days.)
Notify me when updates are available (No standing order will be created).
This Bloomberg BNA report is available on standing order, which ensures you will all receive the latest edition. This report is updated annually and we will send you the latest edition once it has been published. By signing up for standing order you will never have to worry about the timeliness of the information you need. And, you may discontinue standing orders at any time by contacting us at 1.800.372.1033, option 5, or by sending us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Put me on standing order
Notify me when new releases are available (no standing order will be created)