While the Family and Medical Leave Act and myriad state laws determine how employers nationwide must respond to employee leaves of absence, firms operating in California can face more requirements and confusion than most, a management attorney in San Francisco said Nov. 28 during a Bloomberg BNA webinar.
Allen Kato of Fenwick & West said that the “FMLA is a very technical law.” In addition, he said, “Various California leave laws pose additional and sometimes conflicting requirements to add to employer confusion.”
Understanding how the FMLA and California leave laws intersect is crucial, he said.
One difference between the CFRA and FMLA, Kato said, is that the FMLA does not cover domestic partners, while the California law does.
“The most important advice I can give you is don't assume that the employee has FMLA rights, and don't necessarily communicate to the employee that [he or she] has FMLA rights if that is not true,” Kato said.
Kato also noted some other leave law issues unique to employers in California:
• Identify what laws address pregnancy-related leave, Kato advised. For example, pregnancy disability leave (PDL) in California applies to employers that have five or more employees. Eligible employees can take four months of PDL. “Unlike FMLA, there is no eligibility criteria or waiting period,” for PDL leave, Kato said.
• Employees in California who are victims of domestic violence or sexual assault in part are entitled to unpaid time off to obtain judicial relief.
• Employees in California must be allowed to take time off to appear in a school proceeding related to a child's suspension from school. California employers with 25 or more employees must allow workers with school-age children (K-12 or in a licensed child day care facility) to take up to 40 hours a year, but not more than eight hours a month, for school activities.
• California employers with 15 or more employees must allow workers up to 30 business days in a year to donate an organ, or five business days in a year to donate bone marrow.
• Employees in California must be allowed time off to perform emergency duty as a volunteer firefighter, a reserve peace officer, or as emergency rescue/civil air patrol personnel.
By Rhonda Smith
All Bloomberg BNA treatises are available on standing order, which ensures you will always receive the most current edition of the book or supplement of the title you have ordered from Bloomberg BNA’s book division. As soon as a new supplement or edition is published (usually annually) for a title you’ve previously purchased and requested to be placed on standing order, we’ll ship it to you to review for 30 days without any obligation. During this period, you can either (a) honor the invoice and receive a 5% discount (in addition to any other discounts you may qualify for) off the then-current price of the update, plus shipping and handling or (b) return the book(s), in which case, your invoice will be cancelled upon receipt of the book(s). Call us for a prepaid UPS label for your return. It’s as simple and easy as that. Most importantly, standing orders mean you will never have to worry about the timeliness of the information you’re relying on. And, you may discontinue standing orders at any time by contacting us at 1.800.960.1220 or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Put me on standing order at a 5% discount off list price of all future updates, in addition to any other discounts I may quality for. (Returnable within 30 days.)
Notify me when updates are available (No standing order will be created).
This Bloomberg BNA report is available on standing order, which ensures you will all receive the latest edition. This report is updated annually and we will send you the latest edition once it has been published. By signing up for standing order you will never have to worry about the timeliness of the information you need. And, you may discontinue standing orders at any time by contacting us at 1.800.372.1033, option 5, or by sending us an email to email@example.com.
Put me on standing order
Notify me when new releases are available (no standing order will be created)