Bloomberg BNA's Health IT Law & Industry Report brings you concise, comprehensive, and timely news and analysis of the regulatory, legal, and compliance issues surrounding our nation’s...
The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology announced Jan. 24 it would fund regional extension centers at higher levels than the federal REC grants originally allowed for the last two years of the four-year programs.
ONC said in a Federal Register notice--which will be published Jan. 25--that it would seek to modify the four-year grant deals so that RECs would be responsible for just 10 percent of their costs in years three and four, with the federal government picking up the remaining 90 percent of their costs as it did in the first two years of the program.
The grants initially established cost-sharing requirements that meant RECs were responsible for paying for 10 percent of their operations in years one and two of the program, jumping to a 90-percent cost-sharing requirement in years three and four.
However, ONC said in the notice that “national economic conditions” are preventing RECs from meeting the cost-sharing requirements under the grants and could be “detrimental” to the REC program.
“Through these modifications, the timeline would be lengthened in the first budget period from two years to four years, and the cost-sharing requirement would reflect a 90/10 federal/grantee cost share for all four years,” according to the ONC notice. “Modifications will be effectuated through the execution of revised Notice of Grant Awards (NGA).”
ONC has awarded grants to 62 RECs since February 2010, using $677 million appropriated under the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act for such projects.
RECs are responsible for helping health care providers, particularly critical access hospitals and primary care clinicians in small and rural practices, with adopting and implementing electronic health records.
Sustainability of RECs has been a health IT industry concern as organizations have worked to develop local funding models.
“Funding for the full four years of the Regional Extension Centers program is critical to the success of the centers' efforts to develop programs to support the meaningful adoption of EHRs,” Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society Executive Vice President Carla Smith told BNA Jan. 24. “HIMSS looks forward to continuing to support the success of the REC program through our educational and professional development resources.”
A prepublication copy of the notice is available at http://op.bna.com/hl.nsf/r?Open=kcpk-8detq9.
All Bloomberg BNA treatises are available on standing order, which ensures you will always receive the most current edition of the book or supplement of the title you have ordered from Bloomberg BNA’s book division. As soon as a new supplement or edition is published (usually annually) for a title you’ve previously purchased and requested to be placed on standing order, we’ll ship it to you to review for 30 days without any obligation. During this period, you can either (a) honor the invoice and receive a 5% discount (in addition to any other discounts you may qualify for) off the then-current price of the update, plus shipping and handling or (b) return the book(s), in which case, your invoice will be cancelled upon receipt of the book(s). Call us for a prepaid UPS label for your return. It’s as simple and easy as that. Most importantly, standing orders mean you will never have to worry about the timeliness of the information you’re relying on. And, you may discontinue standing orders at any time by contacting us at 1.800.960.1220 or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Put me on standing order at a 5% discount off list price of all future updates, in addition to any other discounts I may quality for. (Returnable within 30 days.)
Notify me when updates are available (No standing order will be created).
This Bloomberg BNA report is available on standing order, which ensures you will all receive the latest edition. This report is updated annually and we will send you the latest edition once it has been published. By signing up for standing order you will never have to worry about the timeliness of the information you need. And, you may discontinue standing orders at any time by contacting us at 1.800.372.1033, option 5, or by sending us an email to email@example.com.
Put me on standing order
Notify me when new releases are available (no standing order will be created)