The global solution for payroll professionals, combines custom research, strategic white papers, country primers, webinars, and the expert guidance you’ve come...
July 20—All Tanzanian employers are now required to submit a percentage of employee wages to a Workers' Compensation Fund (WCF), a Tanzanian embassy official confirmed to Bloomberg BNA.
The WCF was established by the Workers' Compensation Act of 2008 and applied to both public and private employers for the 2015-2016 tax year that began July 1, 2015.
Under the Workers' Compensation Act, private sector employers are required to contribute one percent of each employee's wages on a monthly basis to the WCF while public sector employers must contribute 0.5 percent of wages to the fund. Both public and private sector employers must:
• register with the Director-General of the WCF with information on the employer's business, such as employees and their wages;
• notify the Director-General of any changes to the information submitted in the registration within seven days;
• maintain records on payments to the WCF for at least three years;
• submit an annual return on employee earnings to Director-General by March 31;
• notify employees of their rights and the proper procedure to follow in the case of an accident; and
• be subject to penalties, including imprisonment, for non-compliance and interest on overdue assessments.
To contact the reporter on this story: Jared Mondschein at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Baer at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Workers Compensation Act of 2008 is available at http://www.tanzania.go.tz/egov_uploads/documents/The_Workers_Compensation_Act,_2008_-_(Act_No_sw.pdf.
The employers contribution form, WCP-1, and the attachment to it are available at http://www.kazi.go.tz/uploads/documents/sw/1435923367-WCP%20FORM%201.pdf and http://www.kazi.go.tz/uploads/documents/sw/1435923319-WCP%20FORM%201%20ATTACHMENT.pdf.
More information on payroll issues in Tanzania can be found in the Tanzania country primer.
Notify me when updates are available (No standing order will be created).
Put me on standing order
Notify me when new releases are available (no standing order will be created)